→This post may contain affiliate links.
Exfoliating Mango Sugar Scrub Mask
Exfoliating and face masks are a part of a healthy weekly skin care routine. Face masks, especially clay, are amazing for deep cleansing your pores. Exfoliating is wonderful for sloughing off the dead surface skin, dirt and grime.
After I did the mango face mask this week, I had extra mango puree leftover.
Mango is a popular ingredient in sugar scrubs as it hydrates and adds vitamins to your skin. At the same time the sugar is exfoliating to leave smooth and glowing skin.
This recipe is a 2-in-1. Exfoliate + Mask duo
So with the extra puree I had it only seemed natural to combine this into a dual purpose face mask. And it worked amazing! I was so excited about the results. My skin felt extra smooth and the next day had a soft glow. Plus it saves time!
This Exfoliating Mango Sugar Scrub face mask is great for:
- Removing built up dead skin cells from your skin
- Clay deep cleanses into your pores
- Good for all skin types
- Mango adds tons of Vitamins for anti aging
- Reduce redness or uneven skintone
- Add a healthy glow with fresh and clean skin
- Feed your skin with antioxidants to protect you from UV damage.
Keep reading for the ingredients, how to instructions. If you try this, I would love your comments at the bottom.
And I love mixing Kaolin with anti aging and antioxidant packed tropical goodness. It’s on Rich and divine chocolate just feels like a kaolin clay type of mask. Kaolin is one of the 4 types of clay found in our facial clay assortment pack.
What is a Sugar Scrub?
You may have already been using this type of scrub and not even known it! A lot of companies just label their products as “scrubs”.
But in the DIY world, it’s a sugar scrub. And that can be either white or brown sugar, your choice!
Just as dry brushing is super important for your body, so is exfoliating your face. A typical dry brush is too abrasive for your skin, but you can invest in a facial dry brush.
What is the difference between a sugar scrub or microbeads?
A lot of exfoliating products use “micro beads”. These are HORRIBLE for the environment. They do not break down, and eventually end up in our natural waters.
One tube of facial scrub can contain 330,000 microbeads. Each year, we dump 2.9 trillion microbeads into our natural waters. Get the facts.
That’s insanity! And the worst part, these microbeads that end up in our oceans, lakes and rivers are digested by fish. I saw a study that suggested fish recently tested had 1/4 plastics in their stomachs, much of that microbeads.
So please, read the ingredients of your next facial scrub. The ingredients they might be classified as are:
- polylactic acid (PLA)
- polyethylene terephthalate
You are already doing the right thing by reading this recipe and trying out this scrub. Thank you 🙂
Why should you exfoliate?
Once or twice a year I bet your vacuum your bed as part of your spring cleaning. You are vacuuming up the dead skin cells that fall off your skin while you sleep.
That same thing happens to the skin on your face. It’s totally natural and part of a constant process. It’s the first analogy that came to mind!
Exfoliating your skin works to remove that top layer of dead and dulling skin cells. But here’s the thing, as you age, your body slows it’s shedding process. So exfoliating aids your skin to behave younger.
Exfoliating does this for your skin:
- Unclog pores
- Remove blackheads
- Slow down the signs of aging
- Minimize the appearance of pores
- Softens skin texture
Our how to use a clay mask instructions, give the option to exfoliate before using a mask. This mask recipe just combines the best of both worlds.
Do you have dry or acne prone skin?
Your skin might be too sensitive for physical exfoliation and may prompt further breakouts. In that case, dermveda skincare institute recommends a chemical exfoliation. Products like a glycolic acid serum or salicylic acid.
What are the benefits of Mango for your Skin?
Mango is, in my opinion, one of the most delicious superfoods. You often hear superfood thrown around for mushrooms, spirulina, brussel sprouts and wheatgrass. I would way rather eat a delicious mango!
Mango’s research is fairly new, and delving many benefits ranging from fighting depression to obesity. But there’s also research for the effects on photoaging skin and reduction of wrinkles.
This delicious tropical fruit is packed with vital Vitamins and antioxidants. Those antioxidants play a very important role in anti aging. I really delved into the vitamins and benefits of those vitamins in our mango face mask recipe.
A summary of why mango is amazing for your skin:
- Improve the appearance of skin
- Slow down the signs of aging
- Protect and repair your skin from UV damage
- Reduce appearance of hyperpigmentation
- Aid collagen synthesis
- May reduce and prevent depth of wrinkles
- Reduce appearance of dark circles under eyes
- May reduce appearance of scars and dark spots
More Vitamin packed clay mask recipes:
– Mango Face Mask, loaded with all the essential vitamins including A, B, C, E, and K.
– Pomegranate Kaolin mask, contains 2 plant compound antioxidants unique to the pomegranate.
– Soothing Avocado Face Mask, jam-packed with Vitamins E, C, and K this avocado clay mask uses bentonite clay.
Why Kaolin is great for your skin!
This sugar scrub recipe is unique because it also combines a clay mask into the scrub. So after exfoliating with the mask, leave it on to get the benefits of kaolin clay.
The exfoliation addresses the top layer of your skin while the kaolin clay works to cleanse into your pores.
Kaolin clay is gentle enough that it can be used on all skin types. It’s also a great beginners clay because it doesn’t cause redness like some of the types of clay.
- Absorbing excess oil on your skin
- Mineralizing your skin
- Provides a gentle exfoliation
- Deep cleanse to remove impurities from your pores
Our facial clay assortment pack features Kaolin clay as one of the 4 types of clay included. You also get bentonite clay, rhassoul clay and french green clay.
Our cosmetic grade Kaolin clay is mined in France. Make sure you only purchase cosmetic grade clays as industrial kaolin can have other additives in it.
Exfoliating Mango Sugar Scrub Face Mask Ingredients
Recipe Yield: 1 face masks
You will need:
- 1½ tsp of white sugar
- 1 tsp Kaolin Clay
- 1 tsp of mango puree
- 1 tsp of fractionated coconut oil or melted coconut oil*
- ½ tsp of purified water
*What is fractionated coconut oil? It’s coconut oil that’s in a liquid form so it’s quick and easy to use. It’s also less likely to clog pores.
Step 2: Add a couple pieces of mango to a wet spice grinder (this is the one I love), and puree.
Step 3: Add the coconut oil and mix until a paste.
How to apply Mango Scrub Mask to your Face:
Because of the exfoliation, my skin felt extra smooth after this face mask. The sugar and kaolin make a wonderful exfoliation!
For application follow these instructions (click here for more clay FAQ’s):
1. Cleanse your skin prior to applying a mask.
2. Using your fingers, take small amounts and apply the mask and scrub in circular motions. If you have sensitive or acne prone skin, please be gentle on your skin here. This process is physically removing the dead skin cells from your skin.
3. After thoroughly exfoliating, add a bit of your leftover mask evenly on your face.
4. Relax for a bit with the mask on. Remove the clay scrub mask BEFORE it dries. To remove, gently splash water to rehydrate the clay. Then remove with water or face towel.
4. Follow up with a toner like witch hazel.
5. Apply a moisturizer if necessary. I found the coconut oil portion of the mask to be moisturizing so my skin didn’t need a moisturizer following the mask.
That’s it! I hope this mask was paired with a relaxing bath or just some “me” time for you.
Disclaimer: Our content does not constitute a dermatologist or medical advice.
Did you try this mask? I would love to hear how it worked for you! Leave a comment below.
September 2019 limited time promotion: get 20% off facial clay assortment pack on amazon for your best skin. Click here to get your coupon. We hand pack only the best quality clay in Canada with love.